My original background image was a card sorting exercise, but extensive user testing has shown that a video of my dogs eating peanut butter increases time spent on this page by 62%
I’m a product manager, designer and team leader, with a broad background that includes social media, educational gaming, and online direct marketing. I’ve successfully worked in functional and cross-functional teams, Agile and Waterfall environments, large companies and small startups. The unifying thread is interesting work with interesting people.
Feature Prioritization & Roadmaps
Product Requirement Documentation
User Stories and Functional Requirements
Project Management (Agile/Waterfall)
UX & UI Design
User Testing, Focus Groups
Google Analytics, MixPanel, Braze
Conversion Funnel Optimization
Cleaning items in kitchen after I use them
Almost never microwaving fish
Whatever needs to be done
These days you can spend more awake time with coworkers than loved ones. Consequently, here are some references I ported over from LinkedIn. In addition to my vast and awe-inspiring skill set, I write, make art, bake sourdough bread and wrangle my neurotic dogs.
Randy has always been an advocate for collecting and analyzing user feedback in order to improve upon product design and flow. He is efficient and effective, and is always brainstorming ideas to improve design and user interfaces.
Not only is Randy a talented and visionary designer; he's also an excellent manager. He leads by example, not by intimidation, and therefore quickly gains the trust and appreciation of his employees.
Because of his extensive experience and his expertise, I relied on him many times to help me conceptualize and think through various approaches to projects.
...he dramatically improved the User Experience and the visual direction of our product. He is knowledgeable, quick, and reliable, often doing the often-requested-but-impossible: "getting it done yesterday."
In spite of the enviable skill set under his belt, Randy is one of the most modest persons I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. He’s pleasant to work with and has a knack for building and improving others’ ideas without taking away anything from anyone.
Randy is one of the most hardest working people that I know and given the opportunity, I would work with him again. I highly recommend him to any company or any team.
Randy was a patient, talented manager in a hectic company. Always calm in the face of chaos, Randy paved the way for the entire team of designers under him. With Randy's guidance, our team consistently exceeded our goals and met our demanding deadlines.
Randy is one of the smartest, most talented and nicest people I've ever worked with. He is a master of underpromising and overdelivering.
UX & UI
Vixlet provided the official social media apps for Major League Baseball, the LA Kings, ATP (men's tennis), Liverpool Football Club, the band Slipknot and more. When our company moved to cross-functional teams, I became the Product Manager of UX and UI for mobile and web, managing a team of designers. During this period, our design output increased significantly.
- Reorganized our design system, reducing confusion.
- Streamlined the approval process to reduce conflicting stakeholder feedback.
- Initiated regular sessions for competitive analysis, brainstorming, and improved design thinking.
Projects successfully delivered included:
- Delayed registration, increasing signups and content views.
- Emoji sales in the app, increasing revenue.
- Expanded users' range of creativity in posts, to increase time in app, posts per active user per month, and content views.
- Updated the user profile on mobile, to improve discovery, time in app, and usability.
- Updated the menu on iOS and Android to address user confusion.
- Updated the look of content items to increase readability.
- Implemented a ‘sports radio’ feature for brands to improve time spent in app.
Web Team & Tools Team
In this capacity, I launched the initial web platform and iterative updates, including releases by Major League Baseball, men’s tennis (ATP), Liverpool FC, the LA Kings, the band Slipknot and others. Also launched our Brand Portal, a CMS tool used to manage a brand's experience on our platform.
- Improved our registration funnel, increasing successful signups.
- Drove user content creation, with our audience posting at substantially higher rates than mobile.
- Increased organic adoption through improvements in shared content.
- Radically increased the speed at which new brands could be created through our theming system.
Projects successfully delivered included:
- A meta-data tagging system for users and media to reduce admin workload.
- HLS streaming for video posts to increase time spent in app and user satisfaction.
- @mentions in comments and posts to increase time spent in app.
- Reply to comments to increase user engagement.
- In app deep linking to drive signups.
- Formatted URLs in posts through Open Graph tags to increase time spent in app.
- Launched a hierarchical world/subworld system for the teams of Major League Baseball to drive new users and engagement.
I was hired by the social science startup, MobLab to improve the UX and UI of their live classroom-based educational gaming system, which was sold on a subscription basis. The platform is available on iOS, Android and web.
At MobLab, I made extensive use of user testing, focus groups, analytics and in-class observation to improve our product for both students and instructors. I also got to work alongside world class economists, such as Nobel Prize winner Al Roth, while developing games based on their work.
- Improved the usability of the instructor proctoring platform, reducing support calls and in-class errors.
- Improved the usability of their existing games, as measured by user feedback.
- Delivered 15 new games based on macro and micro economics, adding narrative excitement to better engage our students and drive usage.
- Designed or art directed all company paraphernalia, including flyers, videos, ads, landing pages, and trade show materials.